NSW woman infected after heart surgery

An elderly woman has contracted a rare and potentially deadly disease after she was exposed in a Sydney hospital to open heart surgery equipment linked to a global outbreak. The woman, in her 80s, is the first confirmed NSW patient infected with Mycobacterium Chimaera, after authorities warned of potentially contaminated open-heart surgery equipment in August last year. The woman, who was operated on in 2015, has been treated with antibiotics and is responding well, NSW Health said on Monday. A heater-cooler device thought to be infected during manufacture was used in open-heart surgery for four years in four NSW public…
View More/Source Article