Gas label mix-up discovered at Sydney Children’s Hospital

A Sydney children’s hospital has discovered incorrectly labelled gas outlets during checks ordered after a gas mix-up at Bankstown Hospital resulted in the death of a newborn baby and the injury of another.

In a statement, Sydney Children’s Hospital in Randwick said the labels on the outlet in a patient room had now been corrected and no patients were affected.

It is believed the labels were swapped on oxygen and air outlets after a front panel was removed for electrical work several years ago.

“It would have been impossible to deliver air or oxygen incorrectly as their outlets can only be connected to the correct connectors,” a spokesperson from Sydney Children’s Hospital said.

“If the panel had ever been needed, no incorrect air of oxygen could have been administered.”

The outlet was in place to provide a backup to the primary service panel directly over the patient bed.