Pop legend Prince, who was found dead in his home in a Minneapolis suburb in late April, died from an accidental overdose of painkillers, a medical examiner revealed after an autopsy.
The 57-year-old star’s death was an “accident” caused by administering himself fentanyl, a powerful opioid used to treat pain, the medical examiner’s office in Minnesota said in a statement.
The medical examiner gave few other details, with the sheriff’s department in Minnesota’s Carver County still investigating.
Fentanyl, a synthetic opiate, is more powerful than morphine and is used to treat people with chronic pain. It is only available by prescription.
Prince was found dead at his Paisley Park estate on April 21, days after his private plane made an emergency landing that was also reportedly due to a painkiller overdose.
Federal authorities, including the Drug Enforcement Administration, have been involved in an investigation into Prince’s death.
A California doctor who treats painkiller addiction, Howard Kornfeld, had been urgently making plans to treat Prince when the artist died, the specialist’s lawyer said last month.
Dr Kornfeld’s son Andrew had arrived at Paisley Park to explain the treatment to Prince when he discovered his lifeless body and called the 911 emergency line for help.
Prince had appeared to be healthy to the public and was famous for his marathon performances in which he would play for hours or put on two shows in a night.
But the singer underwent hip surgery in 2010 and was famously private about his personal life.
Prince, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, did not leave a will, and his multi-million-dollar estate including royalties from his more than 30 albums is being handled by a court.
The songwriter’s hits included Purple Rain and When Doves Cry.